Translate

Blog 185 Thursday 27th March 2014


Once again lots of visits from across South America, Ola Brasil !!

I was sent to the Dermatology department Kettering hospital, after the discovery of a strange looking mark on my back.  I was seen by consultant dermatologist Dr Olivia Stevenson she very quickly gave the diagnosis of a Basal Cell Carcinoma or BCC

A basal cell carcinoma is a type of skin cancer. There are two main types of skin cancer; melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer. BCC is a non-melanoma skin cancer and is the most common type.

The commonest cause of a BCC is too much exposure to Ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun. A BCC can be cured in almost every case and is not infectious. Treatment becomes more complicated if the BCC has been neglected for a very long time or if they are in an awkward place such as near the eye, nose or ear.

As well as the diagnosis Dr Stevenson gave me a right good telling off  as apparently I had neglected my skin over the years too much unprotected sun in South Africa and Australia no doubt but also she insisted I needed to "moisturise"   MMmmmmmmmm.................never done that......anyway after my diagnosis and rebuke, I was given the good news the BCC is to be surgically removed !! and the really good news..................................surgery on my birthday!!!!! apparently the only date available.

Trust me you do not want to say to the NHS "That date is not convenient"..............at best you wait a further three months, at worst you may get "lost" in the system. Oh well its only a local anesthetic and I should be out in time for the usual rendition of `Happy Birthday'
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello John please could you contact me via Facebook you were in the Spires with my Dad, Michael Cooke. Regards Louise Reevell

John Naisbit said...

Hi Louise I am not on Facebook if you send your email address or mobile via this blog it will not be published and I can contact you. Unfortunately I lost contact details of your father when we moved last August look.
Regards
John Naisbit