Translate

Blog 158 Tuesday 16th April 2013

Holly Slater a seemingly fit and healthy 28-year-old died from bowel cancer after doctors repeatedly told her she was suffering from IBS a harmless digestive complaint.
Nursery worker Holly Slater visited her doctor several times over an 18 month period, yet doctors did did not recognise her symptoms - which included bloating and abdominal cramps - and mistook the beginnings of bowel cancer for irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
The cancer eventually spread to her lungs, bones and liver and she died in February this year.
Read More http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2308049/Heartbroken-Lynne-Slater-losing-Holly-28-bowel-cancer.html

OK to those that have followed my blog I apologise for repeating myself........................ but I am horrified when I read , young persons are still being diagnosed with IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome)  that turns out to be bowel cancer. I have apologised to my followers as I have previously blogged that  this was my situation albeit some years older than the unfortunate Holly Slater. I have never really forgiven the original GP for not taking things further and correctly diagnosing my symptoms, but for younger persons, IBS "Fits the profile " much better than bowel cancer. Bowel cancer cases in young people has risen by 120% in ten years GP's should by now start to question and consider the young individual for bowel cancer. A simple poo smear sent for analysis was what saved my life by a doctor that I could rely on.

1 comment:

Asons said...

I truly admire your passion for trying to make people aware of the symptoms of bowel cancer!
I work with cases of bowel cancer misdiagnosis on a regular basis and the beginnings of each case always hold a similar story... that the client had a consultation with a doctor about stomach pain and trouble with their bowel activities, only to be told that it is IBS, gall stones and just something and simple as constipation without doing any further testing!

Doctors need to be more aware that bowel cancer is serious issue that must always be considered with cases of trouble surrounding the digestive system- not to dismiss is!