Translate

Blog 160 Tuesday 21st May 2013

Am I paranoid ? I suppose living with bowel cancer makes you paranoid. Some while ago I reported to my oncologist that I had been experiencing a dull ache in the middle of my back, in my arms and leg. He decided to review the recent CT Scans with a radiologist. Obviously I am concerned at the possibility of secondary bone cancer (Bowel cancer settling in my bones) or am I being paranoid?

Although a Secondary Bone Cancer can occur in any bone in the body, the most commonly affected bones are the spine, ribs, pelvis, skull, and the upper bones of the arms (humerus) and the legs (femur). 
 
On Friday 17th May my oncologist telephoned to say my last CT scans had been reviewed and that the main focus of those scans were the soft tissue of my other internal organs. He decided that I needed a further MRI Scan. Tomorrow on Wednesday 22nd May I shall once again be visiting The Three Shires Hospital in Northampton for the MRI.
 
 
Colorectal cancer remains the third most common cancer among adult men and women in the UK and the third most common cause of death from cancer. It is well accepted that colorectal cancers metastasize to the liver and lungs more frequently than to bone or other organs.  Because bone metastasis often indicates the terminal phase of colon cancer, clinicians should be more vigilant about possible bone metastasis in colorectal cancer patients with lung metastasis.
 

No comments: