Translate

Blog 137 Saturday 3rd November 2012

I am getting ready for my Oncologist appointment today at 11.15am in Northampton. I would like to thank the person that left a message on the blog which concerns the experimentation of screening for Bowel Cancer by blood tests.   Quote...............................................,

'Test for Bowl Cancer' Daily telegraph Sat. Nov 3rd 2012. Australia.

Australian scientists believe they are on the brink of delivering an affordable blood test to identify bowl cancer. At the moment, screening relies on people returning stool sample kits they receive in the mail. But less than 40 per cent of eligible Australians participate in the free federal government program.
The new blood test has been developed by biotech company Clinical Genomics in collaboration with the CSIRO and Flinders University in Adelaide.
It could be commercially available by late 2013. The blood test is currently being trialled on 3000 patients, with results detecting 73 per cent of cancers'.....................unquote
 
The current method is bowel cancer screening  In the UK only 50% of the test kits are returned !!! Come on you guys if you get a kit use it and send it back..................It could just save your life and prevent your family going through Hell if you are later diagnosed. 

Wendy's Blog

Talking about putting family through Hell, the only "Hell" that I have gone through is watching the man you love going through pain, uncertainty and psychological trauma and there is nothing I can do but support, hold and comfort. The other hell is trying to support a 10 year old who has seen and had things explained to her that no 10 year old should see and hear. We had her in counselling for a few months to try and cope with everything she has had thrown at her this year and it is comforting to know that she has "good coping" skills.

However I am lucky in that I manage a district and therefore I am classed as a home worker. I manage my diary 90% of the time and so I can schedule in John's appointments, and be with him when I can hear and see that he is not coping. My work has been incredibly supportive and has supported me when I need it. I say lucky because if I was office based it would be so much more difficult to offer this support and maybe we wouldn't have coped as well as we have. On the flip side there are times when the stress of  doing my job and dealing with setbacks with the cancer does get to the stage where you just want to walk away and hide. However that is not an option and I cope because John is my husband and the love of my life and I will be there for him as his crutch as he is there for me. Family is the key to overcoming adversity in your life.

No comments: