Translate

Blog 101 Wednesday 4th April 2012

Anyone who has previously read this blog will know, I have volunteered for Bowel Cancer UK. Unfortunately I missed the 2nd training session due to the recent loss of my father. Bowel Cancer UK volunteers attend events and give talks to raise awareness of Bowel Cancer, using statistics, symptoms, risk factors, and prevention. The volunteer is armed with leaflets with loads of information for good bowel health and also on the UK's screening programme. Bowel Cancer UK give you the facts about bowel cancer Telephone      0800 8 40 34 40         If, like me you are diagnosed early, bowel cancer is very treatable. What you must look out for is :-)

(1) Bleeding from your bottom and or blood in your poo. (2) A change in your bowel habits, lasting three weeks or more. (3) Unexplained weight loss. (4) Extreme tiredness for no reason. (5) A pain or lump in your tummy.

In my experience, I only had one of the above symptoms being, a change in my bowel habits. I had diarrhoea, which my doctor wrongly diagnosed as Irritable bowel syndrome. It still makes me angry, because, apparently I didn't fit the "profile" of someone that could have the early signs of cancer. (I was too young at 46) , my doctor at the time didn't bother with further tests. It took a doctor in Australia when we emigrated, to take things further and finally diagnose the disease.

Bowel Cancer UK warns of eating too much processed foods, ie bacon, ham,salami, sausages and burgers, and suggests that we should eat them as a treat only, as these foods could lead to bowel cancer. Studies from Sweden, also show that  just 50grams of processed meat a day raises the risk of pancreatic cancer by a fifth.  SO!!!!!!! I was amazed to read in
the Mail on Sunday "Review" paper that "Bacon can be good for you" by Zoe Dare HALL.

Be sure to read the bit that says  buy "Good-Quality Sausages"  "Made from Outdoor-Reared",  "Toxin-Free Pork" and which contain "90 per cent pork meat".  I'm sorry, but like the majority of British people, I do not shop at Harrods for my sausages !!! and reading the fine print on sausage packaging from supermarkets is becoming evermore problematic for me with age!!!!!

Zoe Dare HALL also quotes Rachel Green, of BBC3’s Kill It, Cook It, Eat It, who suggests that we buy from Farm Shops. Rachel says ..."I like to use more mature, flavoursome rare-breed porks such as Gloucestershire Old Spot or Tamworth."  We do not have the luxury of a farm shop selling such high end sausages in our area, but Zoe, I will try in Tesco and Morrisons for a laugh!!!!!!! I believe its headlines like that above that causes confusion amongst the majority and aimed at the minority who are demographically privileged.

No comments: