Translate

Blog 105 Thursday 26th April 2012

Having blogged my Journey through cancer and my experiences, I said very little of the emotional Physical or Psychological effects on me. On diagnosis I experienced a terrific sense of  Sorrow and Sadness, not unlike loosing a loved one, a sudden reality that my future may not be as I had lived to expect. Anger & Resentment, were also emotions I felt at first,...............Depression..... It helped me to stay positive at this time, that doesn't mean you have to feel happy and cheerful it just meant for me, that I acknowledged with the situation and found ways to cope, and even made new plans for the future taking account of my treatments.

I allowed myself at first, not to bother to change out of my PJ's in the morning..... I was being nursed at home, "Why should I"?  A sudden bout of reality later kicked in...............I can give up or I can fight..............I chose to fight....... Psychologically, I felt very vulnerable, I was on toxic drugs that were killing my immune defence system. I was told that any sort of virus would see me immediately admitted to hospital. This also gave me feelings of panic and lack of control. My network of family and friends were made aware of this and stayed away for the duration of their colds and flu viruses!!  I became extremely tired and submitted to enforced sleeps during the day, resorting to sleeping tablets at night. Again reality later kicked in and I decided to get busy around the house, walk the dog, start painting again, do voluntary work..... It sure helped.

It is all to easy, like me at first to allow the diagnosis of cancer to stop you in your tracks and almost submit to 'Due Process'. Studies on the subject of keeping "Positive" or "Positive Thinking" are not understood and have had mixed results......... In my experience, having endured major bowel surgery for cancer and major lung surgery plus 6 months of chemotherapy, I believe that by staying Positive, Active and discussing openly, my thoughts,  and having a sense of "I want this disease out of my system" worked for me .......................There is lots of help and support out there that got me through, like Bowel cancer UK or Macmillan cancer support these sites are full of good information.

Early diagnosis of bowel cancer is the key see "Signs and Symptoms" for early diagnosis.

No comments: