Translate

Blog 166 Tuesday 18th June 2013

An article caught my eye in "The Lancet" magazine, "Loving the Alien"an exhibition in a London Hospital of foreign bodies removed during surgery over the years.

Read More :  http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(13)61233-7/fulltext?elsca1=ETOC-LANCET&elsca2=email&elsca3=E24A35F

The reason I have included the above link to the exhibition is simple, I have baffled the boffins!!

Surgery on my spinal column to remove my "alien" will go ahead after the results of an MRI Scan on my head and brain. Unfortunately I will have to wait approximately a week after the MRI before they can operate. The MRI is scheduled for this friday, the surgeon felt it necessary to scan my brain before surgery as a precautionary measure. I will also have my bloods taken at the same time. I was told that the MRI will be with contrast so it is obvious to me that they are looking to exclude any further thoughts that the cancer has gone North. Or the Top End as they say in Aus.

I am just happy that I'm getting the attention, apparently, I have completely bamboozled  the boffins nobody is exactly sure what is happily living alongside my spinal column and are currently calling "Mr Alien" a Cystic Lesion. They are sure it hasn't grown inwards. It is however growing on the outside of the spinal cord covering, and pressing on the spinal cord which is giving me random pains in my legs/hips and back. The operation is risky but I am in one of the best neuro-surgical units in the country I will at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxfordshire.

As previously blogged given my history of Bowel Cancer I will be the happiest person alive when the alien is removed and the histology is found to be a benign cysttic lesion.

Bowel Cancer is operable and can be cured if caught in time Read :-

http://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/understanding-bowel-cancer/signs-symptoms/





 

1 comment:

Catherine said...

It sounds like you are in good hands with your hospital team, but nevertheless I wish you luck and great success with the surgery. :)