Translate

Blog 162 Saturday 1st June 2013

I am still waiting for the results of the 2nd MRI Scan last Wednesday. It was not a pleasant experience and as the contrast was injected I felt quite nauseous. Contrast is used to improve the visibility of internal body structures. It was confirmed that the metastases in my spine is between
T6 and T7 slightly lower than the level of my sternum or breast bone and is on the spinal cord. Metastases (Tumour) as this is a secondary tumour from the original bowel cancer.

The Human Spinal Column
 


Mentally, I am constantly reminded of my Oncologists previous words that I would not necessarily be offered chemotherapy again as a treatment as it did not work for me. The treatment left is radiotherapy or surgery I await my referral to the neurological unit to ponder on the next steps............
Read More : http://www.brainandspine.org.uk/possible-treatments-for-spinal-tumours I have almost forgotten the original bowel cancer surgery as a distant memory.

Only a few weeks ago (Blog 159 Thursday 9th May 2013) after a CT Scan, blood tests and a colonoscopy my bowel cancer consultant Mr El-Rabaa in Kettering Hospital told me "all was clear" and he didn't need to see me again for another 15 months, thank goodness (again) for my oncologist Craig Macmillan in Northampton. Its the 2nd time he has found metastases, firstly  in my left lung some time after both lungs had been operated on, then in my spine. Craig Macmillan has found these when other consultants and doctors have not had the presence of mind to "Look outside the box"

 Wendy's Blog

The title of this Blog is "Living with Bowel cancer" . When we decided to use this, we never envisaged that that would be the case. We thought at first that they would cut it out, chemotherapy would work and then we would live happily ever after and enjoy our silver and gold wedding anniversaries......that now looks very unlikely. I know that we have known for awhile now that we have borrowed time but every time something new happens that time shortens.

We have gone through a roller coaster ride of emotions since the 23rd. Desperate unhappiness, anger with deep sorrow thrown in. On the night of Hope's birthday when we were sitting in the restaurant Hope was incredibly cuddly towards her Dad, at one time before the call, which we were expecting, we looked at each other and there were tears in John's eyes. You see we have had our suspicions for awhile now, that something was not right, the aches and pains, loss of feeling in his hands, feet and arms, but although I have been urging him to see the Doctor. John did not want to know! It has only been the pain that has steadily been increasing and my nagging that made him contact the GP then the Oncologist.

I know that this Blog is read by many people, both cancer sufferers and their families, and this next few lines is to the families and spouses of cancer sufferers.

Living with a cancer sufferer is not easy. There are days when you cannot do anything right or say anything right. Take a walk, have a bath get out of the house and give them time to get themselves together. It is incredibly difficult to get to grips with everything happening to them and you are the one person that knows them the best, you are the one person that they know that they can project some of their frustrations and anger onto.

It is the unfairness it is the injustice of cancer. If you look at John you would never think that there was anything wrong, he is still the man I have known for 20 years, just with a few more wrinkles and scars. The man I love ,and I will be there holding his hand through this next episode in our lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cancer is so limited
It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
it cannot corrode faith
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot conquer the spirit ......
In our thoughts and prayers
x