Translate

Blog 131 Sunday 7th October 2012

I am now back home, having been discharged from hospital with a big pack of pain relief. My first thoughts of this last week is that the pain was not so intense second time around due to the epidural

 

Although my epidural was placed much higher than shown in this image, the principle was the same.
The Epidural was in place to administer a prescribed dose of a drug called FENTANYL this drug is described as 50 to 100 times stronger than morphine. I was given morphine during my Bowel cancer operation and had hallucination's what was to happen now!!!!!! The following is taken from an information site

Thoracic Epidural Block height and intensity
"Typically, the effects of the epidural are noted below a specific level on the body (
dermatome). This level (the "block height") is chosen by the anaesthetist. The level is usually 3-4 dermatomes higher than the point of insertion. A very high insertion level may result in sparing of very low dermatomes. For example, a thoracic epidural may be performed for upper abdominal surgery, but may not have any effect on the perineum (area around the genitals) or bladder.[9] Nonetheless, giving very large volumes into the epidural space may spread the block both higher and lower.
The intensity of the block is determined by the concentration of local anaesthetic drugs used. For example, 15 ml 0.1% bupivacaine may provide good analgesia for a woman in labour, but would likely be insufficient for surgery. Conversely, 15 ml of 0.5% bupivacaine would provide a more intense block, likely sufficient for surgery. Since the volume used in each case is the same, the spread of drug, and hence the block height, is likely to be similar"................................so there you have it !



Knowing my fear of having a needle into my spinal column from our previous meeting, my anaesthetist, first put me under before inserting the epidural. My Surgeon Mr Waller said he would try to use the previous scars but would have to open them up further:-

Download SAM_0589.JPG (47.3 KB)
CHEST DRAIN
Download SAM_0597.JPG (48.3 KB)Download SAM_0590.JPG (41.5 KB)
Download SAM_0598.JPG (37.3 KB)
THE LOWER SCAR IS THE WIDTH OF THE SURGEONS HAND AS HE HAD TO GET HIS HAND INSIDE MY DEFLATED LUNG





Download SAM_0596.JPG (57.9 KB)
A SPIRAL OF EPIDURAL TUBE EXITING MY SPINAL COLUMN SECURED IN PLACE BY SURGICAL CLINGWRAP!!





Download SAM_0593.JPG (59.2 KB)



The worst experience during this whole procedure was waking up after the Op, I was gasping for air and trying to say I couldn't breath !! The recovery staff had just removed all the tubes from my throat and having had my lung deflated for surgery, I needed to re-inflate it naturally. How was I to know!!!! I was asleep!! I was panicking, disorientated, and woozy. A very calm voice repeated several times "Just concentrate on breathing" I stopped panicking and started breathing.................  

The secondary tumour has now been removed from my lung and had been effected by the previous Chemotherapy. Some cells had died from the effects of the chemo, but the actual tumour had continued to grow. This is good news, as my Oncologist had previously stated that I would not necessarily be offered further Chemotherapy, "as it had not worked" now we know it had worked, in part, maybe I will get another opportunity.

This episode was a major disappointment to me, especially after the chemo. I am secretly hoping this tumour was a "stray" cell from my previous lung op a year ago and this is now the end.

I have had many well wishers and prayers offered from family and friends thank you all ,but I was especially very proud to have my 83 year old Mother "Phyllis" and wife Wendy by my side in hospital throughout the week helping me through. Jonathan and Hope were also fantastic in their support thank you all very much.

Again I have to thank all the staff at the Leicester Spire for a job well done especially Mr Waller Thoracic surgeon, Dr West Anesthetist, theatre staff and ward staff they were all brilliant........ 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! I could have sworn I've visited this website before but after looking at a few of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Regardless, I'm certainly delighted I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back regularly!
My webpage > Tinnitus Miracle Review

Myra + Iain said...

Hello old chap; I must say, we were getting a bit concerned at the lack of an update posting. If you had a notebook, you could have updated from the high dependency unit!
Seriously, we are glad that you are back home, albeit a little lighter.....
Love from Myra and Iain