Translate

Blog Five - Thursday 30th June 2011

It seems that we have been waiting for an eternity for this day and appointment but in reality it wasn't long. My eldest son Jonathan expressed his wish to accompany us to the appointment and it was very warmly received, its a nice feeling having those that you love, around you in these  uncertain times, and is something I missed in Australia, as no family members were close enough at that time but offers of support came from everyone, all  sent best wishes and their prayers. It is tremendous the support that was received in so many ways.

We were told by Mr Waller that I have five polyps to be removed, unfortunately these polyps are in both lungs, upper and lower lobes . Once removed these will then be sent off for Biopsy. The procedure is known as a Video Assisted Thoracoscopic Wedge Resection. (VATR) In this procedure the surgeon uses a camera through two or three small incisions (3 - 5 Cm's)  into the chest and removes small sections ie the polyps from the lobe of the lung.

As  my Polyps are in both lungs this will entail two or three incisions in both sides of my chest under the arm or just below the shoulder blade .........ouch!!!!! and to top it off I will have drains inserted into both lungs.

So many questions come up and one of the main questions is of the probability of chemotherapy???? Mr Waller could not answer these questions as the procedure has to be completed and biopsy done to find out exactly what these things are.  After blood tests and MRSA (Methicillian Resistant Staphylocous Aureus) swabs of my nose and the area at the top of the legs known as the Perineum (look it up we are not going to describe it!!) and armed with much literature and ointments and body cleansing agents in case of MRSA we left the hospital in a daze .


We are struggling with the fact that this is NOT  Lung Cancer  but Bowel Cancer that has found its way to my lungs. My Bowel cancer was described as at stage T2  in all probability had been developing over a number of years. There are two places it could have gone, my  Liver or lungs

On our last visit to Dr Von Papen back in Australia, he showed us pictures of my very healthy liver which were taken during surgery and quipped that I have the liver of a young man and that I should drink more alcohol !!!!!!!! Wendy almost choked ! anyone who knows me will know that I sometimes enjoy  a little glass of Red Wine occasionally.........................

No comments: