Translate

Blog 121 Thursday 6th September 2012

Sad I know, but one of my favourite daily reads is the Mail On Line. You can check out what you want without being subject to the normal daily newspaper sensationalism.

Anyone who has read my blog before, will know that I sometimes refer to articles taken from the `Mail On Line' and today will be no different. Two articles has hit home with me, `He didn't need to die':  A wife's harrowing story after her husband was diagnosed with IBS and died of Bowel Cancer  and the second article Bowel Cancer soars by 120% among the under Thirties  an older article but goes to show Bowel Cancer is not only an older persons disease, and under thirties can be wrongly diagnosed due to their age.

Both of these articles caught my eye, firstly because I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and later found I had advanced stage Bowel Cancer.The symptoms are very similar and can easily be mistaken. Giles Cowley 41 the unfortunate person in the first article had a stressful job and lifestyle. Although I was 45 my Job was stressful and may not of been eating properly. My GP then diagnosed IBS without any further tests it was in fact the start of Bowel Cancer.

The second article caught my eye because,  as with the first article and IBS if you do not fit the profile of a person that is in the age group of persons likely to be effected by bowel cancer (Over 50) then your GP may diagnose wrongly. Our government still only screens for Bowel Cancer when you reach 60 in England

Who is eligible for screening?
If you are aged:
  • 60-69 in England
  • 60-74 in Wales
  • 60-71 in Northern Ireland
  • 50-74 in Scotland
By taking some simple steps to improve your diet and taking regular exercise can help reduce your risk of bowel cancer. So it is important to:
    Diet & Exercise

No comments: