Translate

Blog 32 Saturday 10th September 2011

I am off to Northampton Three Shires Hospital on Monday to meet my surgeon David A Ratliff MD FRCP FRCS Mr David Ratliff is a Consultant Vascular, Laparoscopic Surgeon, and will be performing the operation to insert the     Porta Cath into my chest. A portacath consists of a reservoir (the portal) and a tube (the catheter). The portal is implanted under the skin in the upper chest. It appears as a bump under the skin.  The catheter runs in a tunnel under the skin, going over the collar bone and then enters the large vein in the lower neck (the internal jugular vein). Since it is completely internal  bathing is not a problem. The septum of the portal is made of a special self-sealing silicone rubber. It can be punctured up to one thousand times and therefore can be used for many years. (Hopefully not required for too many years) The appointment to have the Porta Cath inserted is Wednesday 14th September 2011.

I will then start my Chemotherapy the following week. It has been arranged that I will have the nurse come to our home to administer the drugs for the next six months..... brilliant!!!! I could not handle having to drive or be driven to hospital. I am so pleased that this is the way forward, It seems to make it easier and especially for Wendy, who would have had to drive me. Wendy has a very stressful job and I do not want to give her any more stress in her life.

I have also had a visit from Macmillan Cancer Support who are presently looking into benefits that I may be able to claim...............There are certain benefits that are available for Chemotherapy Cancer patients, as well as assistance if the patient is suffering financially. A very worthwhile charity who support many cancer suffers in a far worst position medically than I.  Please support Macmillan if you have the opportunity.

No comments: