Translate

Blog 36 Tuesday 20th September 2011 - Chemotherapy Day One

I am very grateful to have my treatment at home by the nurses of Healthcare at Home Ltd or otherwise known as nurse at home.

Yesterday, I had to have my blood taken for a full blood count prior to Chemo. This will have to be taken every two weeks prior to my Chemotherapy. The nurse, Vanessa, could not use the Porta Cath as it had not been purged with saline solution since its insertion last week, so back to the good old needle "Just a small scratch"   even Vanessa said "its nothing like a small scratch is it"? No! its not.

Chemotherapy started today.   The first stage started at 11am, in my lounge by Janice of the Nurse at Home Service. The Porta Cath was purged and drip set up. Please click on the links for full explanations.

 I start with Ondansetron a powerful anti sickness drug via IV drip, the list then reads like a pharmacist order list Dexamethasone  is a potent synthetic steroid drug. It acts as an anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressant. It is 20 to 30 times more potent than the naturally occurring hormone cortisol . When all that disappears from the IV, I then have Magnesium Sulphate and Calcium Gluconate in IV this is taken just before and just after a two hour session of the main Chemotherapy Drug Oxaliplatin

I was able to move around with the tripod and drips, which was lucky, as all the above came in 100mls or 250mls which meant that I had to keep running to the loo (it was like carrying a large hat stand with tubes) I then had an IV of Folinic Acid Folinic Acid assists the Oxaliplatin but please click on the links for the full explanation.

As this was finishing, Hope my daughter came home from school and bravely checked out the dining room, with all the nurses equipment adorning the floor and table. She also was able to see the recent addition of the Porta Cath and how it will now be used. My thoughts go out to all the children and young people around the world that have been diagnosed with cancer .... incredibly brave comes to mind.

I am then married up to my 48 hour IV which sits on my belt and is administered over the next 48 hours at 2.5 mls an hour 5FU Flourouracil    The IV bottle resembles a baby feeding bottle and has a 'bubble' within that is under pressure the bottle contains a drip that will only allow 2.5 mls through an hour. I say married to me as this is continuing every two weeks for six months. I know my newly acquired "marriage" will get under my skin several times over the next 6 months!! I will be sleeping with, eating with, cuddling with, walking with and the bottle top is Pink !! Hope said I should ask for a Blue one. 

It is now 9pm and 10 hours since the IV's started I am tired, my legs and arms feel heavy and I have had what feels like the start of a headache for about 4 hours. Honestly just feels like the after effects of a cheap bottle of Cabernet Sauvingnon! I'm sure there is worst to come. !!!

No comments: