Translate

Blog 33 Tuesday 13th September 2011

It has been two years, almost to the day, that a colonoscopy revealed my colon cancer in advanced stages. It has been four months to the day that a CT scan revealed polyp's on my lungs had changed in size and increased in number.

Since then Ive been pushed, prodded, injected, anethetised, sedated, incised, clamped, stapled stitched and sewn. I have eleven incision scars across my torso, soon to be twelve.  Ive attended Nine different medical establishments on two different continents for various procedures. I have seen more of my internal organs via video, photos and on surgeons vdu monitors than I have ever seen of my back, (for instance)  ................but in all this time I have never felt ill.............. never felt as if I'm sick .........never felt unwell with the cancer, probably because I was lucky and caught it in time................................

Yesterday, I met Mr Ratliff, the surgeon  who will be inserting the Porta Cath. He was very reasurring and confirmed the procedure for tomorrow at the Three Shires Hospital in Northampton. I will be going in at 3.30pm and have been offered overnight stay, but will probably be discharged at about 10.30pm that night if I have the option.

With the usual consent forms completed, and authorisation numbers exchanged, as of tomorrow, I will be wearing this Porta Cath device in my chest for six months to receive the Chemo drugs.

A few weeks ago I mentioned that my previous wife; Janice, was also going through a difficult time with cancer and the devastation that this had caused  my sons. Janice has been readmitted to hospital and is going through various procedures and Chemo. What are the chances of both of us going through similar operations and Chemo at the same time.?

No comments: