Translate

Blog 69 Tuesday 20th December 2011

A good article in the "Mail on Sunday" review newspaper this week, entitled "The Chemo-Proof Christmas Dinner" by Jim Fisher. Jim is a former MasterChef semi finalist and highlights the problems of eating for cancer patients........... for thousands of of us cancer patients, suffering the effects of chemotherapy, the thoughts of the Christmas Dinner, Christmas pud, mince pies and other "Goodies" can be quite daunting, Lifesaving chemotherapy can trigger debilitating severe side effects such as nausea, reflux, and mouth ulcers, also oral mucosities which causes an inflammation of the inside of the mouth making eating very painful. Chemotherapy drugs also wreck taste buds, all this occurs due to the strain placed on the immune system during Chemotherapy. Jim Fisher's late mother, Sylvia, suffered a rare form of cancer and Jim realised, as a chef, he could do something about some of the side effects suffered by his mother.

In my case, I regularly suffer the pain associated with reflux, and often feel quite nausea's,  I currently have mouth ulcers and find it difficult sometimes to swallow cold drinks, due to a feeling that my throat is inflamed. Food often tastes metallic to me and I have lost my appetite for the hot curry's I used to soooooo enjoy. Thoughts of weight loss were replaced with my weight steadily increasing to the heaviest I have ever been, I believe due to the steroids that I am prescribed.

Jim Fisher now runs a cooking school in France, and has researched foods for their comforting and healing properties.  Jim says " Food is more than about having something to eat. It takes you through the bad times. Going through chemo is rotten enough as it is, but it's often especially bad at Christmas.

Jim Fisher has created a festive menu for those especially having chemotherapy " I hope these recipes make it a merrier Christmas for those battling cancer" says Jim.................. www.mailonline.co.uk/chemorecipes
  

No comments: