Translate

Blog 64 Friday 2nd December 2011

Well this session without the Oxaliplatin drug has been much much better virtually no side effects. I have however still got severe Tinitus and have got a further months supply of Lansoprazole for the reflux.
Obviously at this stage I am concerned not having the Oxaliplatin. My treatment involved the two chemotherapy drugs Oxaliplatin and 5FU Fluorouracil  As previously blogged the Chemotherapy is given with a vitamin called folinic acid (Leucovorin) which makes the 5FU more effective.

Oxaliplatin is typically administered with fluorouracil and leucovorin in a combination known as FOLFOX  regime. I was on FolFox 6 regime for the treatment of colorectal cancer. Oxaliplatin has been compared with other platinum compounds (Cisplatin, Carboplatin) in advanced cancers (gastric, ovarian). After the curative resection of colorectal cancer, which I had prior to the cancer spreading to my lungs, chemotherapy based on Fluorouracil and folinic acid reduces the risk of relapse. The benefit is clinically relevant when cancer has spread to locoregional lymph nodes . The addition of Oxaliplatin improves relapse-free survival, but I have learnt that tests are continuing as to how much Oxaliplatin is actually required. Incredibly, It is presently not known, so the normal dose of Oxaliplatin, follows the FolFox regime as to how many cycles of Fluorouracil is administered. Having been taken off Oxaliplatin it may be considered that on my 6th cycle that hopefully I have had sufficient to assist the process.

No comments: