Translate

Blog 73 Sunday 1st January 2012

Only yesterday I blogged that I had been incorrectly diagnosed with IBS Irritable Bowel Syndrome. prior to my diagnosis of bowel cancer.

Today an article appeared in the "Mail on Sunday" Review paper, concerning a very brave lady called Judith McGuinness, a mother of two, who in her 50's started getting symptoms not unlike IBS for which she had been diagnosed previously and thought this was another bout. Judith made the mistake of not seeing her GP  on this occasion. Three years later Judith knows she will die from bowel cancer.

Each year 40,000 Britons are diagnosed with Bowel Cancer and the disease claims 16,000 lives. Judith had the symptoms two years before being diagnosed with bowel cancer. I was diagnosed with IBS a lot earlier, and was not offered any follow up from the GP. It was only after a Colonoscopy that Judith after two years was informed that she had T4 cancer . This basically means the cancer had spread to other organs. Bowel cancer can spread anywhere but normally to Liver and Lungs. I had originally been told by the colorectal surgeon that I had T2 stage cancer and did not need chemotherapy as it was unlikely to have spread. Now following an operation for secondary cancer in my lungs confirms it had. Unfortunately Judith had discovered the tumor too late and the cancer has spread to other parts including lungs and liver. Judith has finished off her story by saying Quote ....."I just hope my experience acts as a warning to other IBS sufferers to be aware that changes in their bowel habits could mean they have cancer..." Unquote.............. I whole heartedly endorse that.

It can be seen from my situation and Judith's that age 50's is a critical time. In Scotland everyone gets a test kit at 50 years of age  to test for blood in the stools whilst incredibly you have to wait to 60 years in England or Wales.     Mark Flannagan, chief executive of Beating Bowel Cancer, called on the Government to lower the current screening age from 60 to 50 after a major study found the disease is far more common in men in their early 50s than previously thought................................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John, I only hope some good comes of Judith's (my mothers) story, it has to. We are doing all we can for screening at 50 in England! thanks for sharing her story here.
Jessica
p.s we have a facebook group called
Judith Mcguinness; Cancer support through collective thinking if you ever want to talk to her. Sometimes connecting with others has helped her. Take care

John Naisbit said...

Thank you Jessica for the contact and the good work being carried out. I am not on facebook so will not be able to contact your Mother please pass on my good wishes, the inspiration and admiration for the work your Mother is doing is tremendous kindest regards John