Translate

Blog 47 Thursday 13th October 2011

Today I have an appointment at Kettering X-Ray department for an ultrasound scan on my hand. With the constant use of cannula's for IV's you may remember in a previous days blog I reported that I believed I may have had something left behind in my vein. The doctor and surgeon said it was a blood clot, which I probably accept now as after the last 2 months waiting for the scan appointment the vein has returned to normal. Tomorrow the nurse will be here to give an IV of saline to clear out the Porta Cath ready for next weeks session. With the onset of colder days and people sneezing all around me, I am becoming more concerned at getting colds and flu etc I don't often suffer, but when I do get a cold or flu it always ends up as a chest infection. One of the side effects of Chemotherapy is {Neutropenia} a lowered resistance to infection, as the chemo drugs destroy the white blood cells that fight infections. On my week off from the drugs I have researched, what diet may assist in order to bring up the blood count but found that it is quite controversial "The Oncologist" magazine has recently said it is not scientifically proven that a diet will assist 
Guidelines given to neutropenic patients regarding diet are currently being studied. As of 2011, the Neutropenic Diet Guideline includes the following recommendations
  • Avoid raw vegetables and fruit.
  • Avoid take-out foods and fast foods and fountain drinks.
  • Avoid aged cheese.
  • Cook all produce to well done. Eggs must be hard-boiled.
  • Avoid deli meats.
  • No raw nuts, nuts roasted in shell, or freshly ground nutbutters from a healthfood store.
  • No yogurt
I thought the Atkins diet was bad !!!!!!

Hope Naisbit's blog (Johns daughter)

Avoid cold stuff
And thats about it
Now be a good boy daddy we don't want anything happening to you do we.lol ha ha.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang on in there Big Man. As for the Atkins diet - look where it got him!